Wednesday, September 24, 2008

BLM Tree Removal at Cache Creek



I had been busy downloading and resizing pictures this week so I can get a series of blogs up on what we did in September, when I remembered that the BLM, with the assistance of GPOC, is at Cache Creek today removing trees that are diseased along the side creek where all of the gold prospecting work has been going on recently. Removal of these trees will make the area safer to work in, as well as getting rid of trees that already have Aspen canker and pine beetle infestation.


The ridge above the area is already red and brown with the beetles that have burrowed into pine trees and left larva that eat the inside bark so the trees cannot get water or nutrients to the leaves. While we have been debating about whether to remove some trees from the area or not, Mother Nature has made the decision for us.


On a better note, however, when the gold prospectors are finished finding gold and we are in the reclaimation part of the site, we can replant the area with healthy trees, hopefully after the beetles have done their damage and flown off to “greener” pastures. Hopefully there are pictures that someone took today that I can share with you later. While we wanted to be there, the “j*o*b” said otherwise.


I have been fiddling with the Facebook page I started last December and have put some more information and pictures up. You can find it at facebook.com and look up my name, if you have an interest. Add me as a friend and let me know by e-mail that you are a prospecting friend. Some of the people who ask to be friends are not exactly “appropriate”, if ya know what I mean. It’s a fun way to communicate and get conversations and discussions going.

Good Prospecting to You,
Shirley Weilnau

No comments: